10 Tips for Choosing a Vernon Painter
Painting your house is a big job. It’s going to take a lot of time and a lot of paint, and for that, you want it done well. Hiring a professional Vernon painter ensures your walls and your painting experience will be smooth, but what do you need to know about hiring a painting contractor?
Since your painter will be spending a lot of time at your house, and his or her work will have a big impact on your home, it’s worth taking the time to make sure you’ve found a good painter.
Here are some of the questions you should ask when you’re searching for a Vernon painter for your home.
10 Tips for Finding a House Painter
1. Ask around. You probably have friends or colleagues who’ve had painting work done. Their feedback is the best way for you to find out what they honestly thought of a painter’s work. If someone you trust gives a great referral, your search might be over.
2. Get three estimates. If you have a big painting job and you need to stick to a budget, get estimates from at least three different contractors so you know what you can expect to pay and what will be included in the project, such as trim updates.
3. Ask questions. Think of it like an interview. You want to be sure you’re hiring the right person, and you’re well within your means to ask things like:
- How long have you been painting?
- What kind of projects have you done? Do you have a specialty?
- Do you perform work yourself or subcontract it?
4. Make sure they’re licensed and insured. That way you know they’re covered if anything happens during the job. If a painter fell from a ladder in your stairwell, for example, you wouldn’t have to worry about legal ramifications if they were insured. It’s also a sign they take their business seriously and it’s a primary source of income for them.
5. Get down to the details. It’s important to be very clear about the work you want to get done and your thoughts on how you want it to look. Do you want your ceiling done as well as the walls? What about your trim? Be sure anything that could affect price is discussed.
6. Check references. If you found a Vernon painter through an online search, ask them for three references and call them for opinions.
7. View their portfolio. Most Vernon painting companies have websites with an online gallery so you can view their past work.
8. Evaluate their professionalism. If the painter calls you back soon, speaks politely, arrives on time and he or she is a busy painter, you’ve probably found a keeper.
9. Read the fine print in the contract.
Now that you’ve found a contractor you think will be a good fit, ask for a contract so everything about the project is clear for both of you. Make a note of what’s being painted, how preparation will be handled, timeline, terms of payment, etc.
10. Ask for a colour consultation. Some painters offer this is a complementary service to help you choose the paint colour that will be suit your furnishings or your landscape.
Now that you’ve got your paint and a the right painter, you’re ready to sit back and watch your home become transformed into a fresh and beautiful new space.
Are you painting your exterior? Check out our post How a Vernon House Painter Helps you Pick the Right Exterior Paint Colour.
The Vernon house painters at Above & Beyond Painting & Repairs are talented, trusted painters Vernon, Armstrong and Lumby homeowners turn to for superior results. Contact us for your FREE estimate today.